Monday, September 12, 2011

10 Things About Marathon Training You Didn't Know

  1. Diaper Rash cream works like a gem to prevent chafing.
  2. Ice Baths are the real deal. Take them after every run longer than 10 miles. 15 minutes of torture is worth it. And wear wool socks so you don’t get hypothermia and have to get your feet amputated.
  3. It turns out that you need a crap-ton of Gels, Electrolyte Drinks, and Water. At least 30-60 grams of carbs PER HOUR!  That is like 2 gel packs an hour. That is about 5 times more than the two Gus that I took during my last marathon. I am excited to see if I don’t feel like my stomach is being ripped out of my body after I finish this race.
  4. On that note, it is really true that if you aren’t going to bother with nutrition and hydration then you might as well not bother with training.
  5. When you think you have had enough water, you haven’t. Drink more.
  6. The key to long runs is breaking it up in your head mentally so you only focus on small increments. For example – an 18 mile run is actually 2 sets of 4.5 miles out and 4.5 miles back or 3 sets of 3 miles out and 3 miles back. A 12 mile run is only two sets of 3 out, 3 back. Mentla games work wonders.
  7. Running for over 4 hours gets boring. Doing anything for over 4 hours is boring. Except for watching good TV on DVD. Like Friends or Friday Night Lights. 
  8. Running for over 4 hours is hard and it hurts. Embrace it. Accept it. And Keep Moving Forward.
  9. Nesquick double chocolate milk is the perfect recovery drink. And thoughts of it get me through the last three miles every time.
  10. I start every run over 3 miles wondering if I will finish. And I am surprised every single time that I do finish. It never fails. It is a great feeling to complete something you really aren’t sure will happen.




No comments: